So What's This All About?

In case you didn't know, I'm in the multi-year-long process of posting a Christian devotional at the TAWG Blog. The TAWG Blog is, and always will be, mostly apolitical. For the most part, Bible-believing Christians will find little to disagree with there. But I also firmly believe that God's word can--and should--inform everything in life, and this should include politics and popular culture. How should we vote? How should we respond to hot topics such as abortion, capital punishment, taxes, and other issues? Which party, if either, is closer to the Biblical ideal? Tony Campolo and Ron Sider, Evangelicals whose political leanings are on the Left, have made the case in several of their writings that God wants his followers to vote politically on the Left more than on the Right. At times, some of them have gone so far as to equate voting on the Left with obedience to Christ, either subtly or not-so-subtly contending that the converse is true as well: If you vote Republican, you're sinning against the Savior.
I don't agree. I think that to the degree they actually resort to the Bible, they're misinterpreting it. With a whole bunch of caveats, I think politically conservative positions are a lot more compatible with the Scriptures than the Leftist positions.
Just to clarify, I would never accuse people who disagree with me--especially siblings in Christ--of what they accuse me of. I don't judge my own heart, much less anyone else's, and I don't equate political disagreement with theological fidelity to God. I have no reason to doubt their love for the Lord and "for the least of these," but I believe that they're sincerely wrong.
So there are two main purposes for this blog. One is to make a case for my political beliefs based on Scripture. The other is a bit more vague, basically to work out my political beliefs and figure out what's based on Scripture and what's based on my own biases. I certainly don't have all the answers. Some of this stuff I'm still figuring out. And I'm certainly open to correction. As long as you make your case civilly and based on Scripture, feel free to make a comment, and I promise I'll post it and consider your arguments thoughtfully and prayerfully. Who knows? Maybe we'll learn a little something from each other.
May God bless our common striving together towards both the "little t" truth and "Big T" Truth. Our watchword here is a line from C. S. Lewis's The Last Battle: "Further up and further in!"

P.S. -- Below on the left is "Topics I've Covered" which lists everything I've posted topically. It's come to my attention that some people would like to see everything just listed for them. If that's you, you can get it here. Thanks to my friend Stephen Young for the tip!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Thought For The Week

No new TFTW re: politics or culture this week. I just lost my mom to cancer, and here are my thoughts which I just posted on Facebook:

I'm sorry that I really haven't been commenting on this up until now, but I'm not the type of person to really bare myself on FB. Not criticizing those who do, but that's not me.

At 6:18 pm today, my mother passed from this world into glory. She'd had cancer back in 1980, and she never 100% recovered from that. Part of her stomach had to be removed, and she was always frail in all the years since.

I got the news several months ago that the cancer had returned, and the outlook didn't look good. She went through lots of treatments, and although she had "up" days and "down" days, the latter became more and more frequent. Over the last couple of weeks, it became more and more obvious that her time with us was running out. I won't go into the gruesome details, but my wife described her appearance as similar to "Holocaust survivor."

I just have three more things to say:

First, about my mom. As far as kindness, compassion, self-sacrifice, and keeping a joyful attitude in the midst of hardship goes, there's no one more like Christ that I've ever known. She was full of love, not just for her family but for everyone she met. Like my wife, she lit up a room every time she entered it. But most importantly, she truly loved her Savior and Lord and really showed me what that means. Like Abraham Lincoln, I can truly say that "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."

Second, I'm going to issue a plea to anyone reading this. I can honestly say that I showed love, honor, and service to my mom on a regular basis BEFORE she passed. We never ended a conversation with each other without saying we loved each other, and we meant it. I certainly wasn't a perfect son--she had to forgive me quite a few times--but by God's grace I can honestly say that I won't carry guilt about things I didn't say to her or about any words I wish I could've taken back.

If there's someone in your life, especially a parent, who needs your love (and to be TOLD that you love them), the time for that is NOW. NOT when they've gone into eternity. NOT at their funeral.
Is there someone you need to call tonight? Is there someone whom you just assume knows that you love them? Is there someone whom you need to forgive or ask forgiveness from? My friend, the only time you have for that is NOW.

And finally, my mom knew exactly where she was going. At a very early age she placed her faith and trust in Jesus as her Savior and Lord, so we had no fears or doubts about this. If there's anyone reading this who doesn't have that assurance, you can, just by doing what she did: Calling on the Lord Jesus to save her and forgive her.

I'm going to see my mom again someday. When I see her again, she won't look at all like the frail cancer victim I said goodbye to. She'll finally be what her Lord created her to be, perfectly reflecting his glory in a brand new body which will NEVER be sick, NEVER be cold (a constant problem for her in her later years), and will NEVER face death again. Her adventure has just begun, and I look forward to joining her someday.

Thanks for all your prayers and sympathy for our family. God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment