So What's This All About?

In case you didn't know, I'm in the multi-year-long process of posting a Christian devotional at the TAWG Blog. The TAWG Blog is, and always will be, mostly apolitical. For the most part, Bible-believing Christians will find little to disagree with there. But I also firmly believe that God's word can--and should--inform everything in life, and this should include politics and popular culture. How should we vote? How should we respond to hot topics such as abortion, capital punishment, taxes, and other issues? Which party, if either, is closer to the Biblical ideal? Tony Campolo and Ron Sider, Evangelicals whose political leanings are on the Left, have made the case in several of their writings that God wants his followers to vote politically on the Left more than on the Right. At times, some of them have gone so far as to equate voting on the Left with obedience to Christ, either subtly or not-so-subtly contending that the converse is true as well: If you vote Republican, you're sinning against the Savior.
I don't agree. I think that to the degree they actually resort to the Bible, they're misinterpreting it. With a whole bunch of caveats, I think politically conservative positions are a lot more compatible with the Scriptures than the Leftist positions.
Just to clarify, I would never accuse people who disagree with me--especially siblings in Christ--of what they accuse me of. I don't judge my own heart, much less anyone else's, and I don't equate political disagreement with theological fidelity to God. I have no reason to doubt their love for the Lord and "for the least of these," but I believe that they're sincerely wrong.
So there are two main purposes for this blog. One is to make a case for my political beliefs based on Scripture. The other is a bit more vague, basically to work out my political beliefs and figure out what's based on Scripture and what's based on my own biases. I certainly don't have all the answers. Some of this stuff I'm still figuring out. And I'm certainly open to correction. As long as you make your case civilly and based on Scripture, feel free to make a comment, and I promise I'll post it and consider your arguments thoughtfully and prayerfully. Who knows? Maybe we'll learn a little something from each other.
May God bless our common striving together towards both the "little t" truth and "Big T" Truth. Our watchword here is a line from C. S. Lewis's The Last Battle: "Further up and further in!"

P.S. -- Below on the left is "Topics I've Covered" which lists everything I've posted topically. It's come to my attention that some people would like to see everything just listed for them. If that's you, you can get it here. Thanks to my friend Stephen Young for the tip!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Part One: Was the founding of Israel a fulfillment of prophecy?

            Wow, if I thought that the other topics I’ve discussed were controversial, like the death penalty, the Free Market System, income inequality, etc., I’m really whacking the hornets’ nest now, aren’t I?
            But I can’t be silent on this. On a much much much smaller scale, I feel like Jeremiah, who wanted to keep his mouth shut when he was going to say some unpopular things, but who had a “fire shut up in [his] bones,” and found that he had to speak out. Just to clarify: I’m not a prophet, just a guy who knows his Bible fairly well and who prides himself on thinking through controversial issues clearly. Or at least I make a really strong effort.
            Now, before we go further, I need to clarify some terms. Please notice that the title of this isn’t “So What About The Jews?” Although they’re similar and linked (because Israel is the only Jewish state), the questions aren’t synonymous. We’re not going to get much into the exclusivity of salvation through faith in Jesus (which I thoroughly believe in). What we’re going to discuss in this forum is how we should—as Evangelicals—relate to national Israel and view the conflicts between her and her neighbors. We’re going to tackle questions like “Is criticism of Israel anti-Semitic?” and “Should we be more ‘even-handed’ in our relationships in that part of the world?”
            One of the main reasons I feel the need to talk about this right now is because as I’m writing this, once again Israel is being pounded by rockets across her border. These rockets target preschools, hospitals, and personal residential homes. And when Israel retaliates, she’s roundly condemned. At the very least, we see a lot of moral equivalence-type arguments: “We condemn the violence on both sides,” as if both sides have roughly the same moral justification (or lack thereof) for their actions.
            As you might’ve guessed from the above paragraph, I’m not “even-handed” on this topic. I’m a huge supporter of the nation of Israel, especially in comparison with those who’d destroy her. I think she’s a good and decent country surrounded by evil nations and people who want her destroyed. Is she perfect? Of course not. But in comparison with her enemies, she’s an angel. I’d submit that she’s undoubtedly the most falsely criticized and maligned country on earth, next to my own.
            So over the next few posts, I’m going to try to approach this as biblically and dispassionately and as logically as I can. Hopefully we can all do this.
            First question: Is Israel the result of Old Testament prophecy? I confess, this is something I used to be more dogmatic on, but in recent years not so much. Now we need to be clarify the question: Is the modern state of Israel the result of prophecy? Were the events in 1948 prophesized in the O.T. or the N.T.?
            Well, possibly.
            The problem with interpreting prophetic Scripture is that often it’s difficult to determine exactly what the author is referring to. When the biblical writers (usually in the N.T.) interpret something for us, then there’s no ambiguity. For example, Micah predicted that the Messiah would be born in the town of Bethlehem, and the Gospel writers make it clear that this was literally fulfilled.
            But there are plenty of passages which are a bit more difficult and open to interpretation. There are lots of passages, especially in the Old Testament, which seem to predict a national regathering of the Jewish people into their historic homeland of Israel. Some of them could very easily be interpreted to refer to the restoration of the Babylonian exile of 586 B.C., and in fact a lot of them probably are referring to that event.
            But a lot of them very specifically refer to a second restoration from a second exile. For example, look at Isaiah 11:10-11:

In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious. In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean. [emphasis mine]

            The above passage can’t be talking about the Babylonian exile: That would be the first exile, not the second. So the conventional interpretation among a lot of Evangelicals is to see the restoration of national Israel in 1948 as the fulfillment of these prophecies.
            There’s just one wrinkle in this understanding: In all the places which prophsize a great regathering of Jews into the nation, in both Old and New Testaments, the passage seems to indicate that this this regathering will coincide with (or be precipitated by) a national repentance and turning to the Lord.
            Here are a few of them. You can look them up—in fact I encourage you to do so—in order to make sure I’m not reading something into Scripture that isn’t there: Isaiah 35, Jeremiah 31, Amos 9:11-15. In each of these, and in several more I could’ve mentioned, the Lord promises to bring his people back from exile, gather them from the nations, bring them back into the land of Israel, and never allow them to be “uprooted again” (in the words of Amos). But in each of these passages, this restoration was linked to national repentance.   
            Now, you’ll have to look hard to find a more ardent supporter of the state of Israel than me. But I can’t pretend that the Jewish people have experienced anything like nationwide repentance. As the posts to come should make clear, I don’t for one moment believe the negative propaganda re: Israel, and quite frankly I think that Jew-hatred is satanically inspired. I’m sure most of them are great people and would be wonderful neighbors, but the vast majority of Jews in the world don’t even take the Torah seriously, much less believe in Messiah Yeshua for salvation. They haven’t repented.
            We also need to note that they also seem to be linked to the second coming of our Lord, also referred to as “the day of the Lord” by the prophets. It’s pretty obvious that that hasn’t happened yet, unless I’ve really missed something.
            Now in defense of those who see the restoration of Israel as fulfillment of prophecy, they say “Yes, national Israel and the worldwide Jewish population haven’t repented, and obviously the Lord hasn’t returned. But the restoration in 1948 was the beginning, the initiation of God putting the pieces in place for the Return.”
            That might be. In fact, I probably lean towards that interpretation myself. But you have to admit that to link the events of 1948 to the passages cited above—what the Scriptures actually say—is a bit of a stretch. I’ve read a dozen websites what purport to prove that the restoration in 1948 was the fulfillment of prophecy, and to be quite frank their hermeneutical skills need a lot of work. They tend to pull verses kicking and screaming out of context—ignoring verses immediately prior and after them—to read their foregone conclusions into what the Scriptures actually say.
            Now, please please please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that national Israel today has nothing to do with the ultimate fulfillment of Scripture. The Bible seems to indicate pretty strongly that when Jesus returns, there’s going to be a national Israel, unless you spiritualize all the passages in the Old Testament and apply them to the Church, which I have real problems with. I also believe that the Jewish people are under God’s special protection, and that Genesis 12’s promise that the Lord will bless those who bless them and will curse those who curse them is still in effect. Furthermore, you could make a pretty strong case that the survival of Israel despite 5 existential wars and unceasing murderous hatred of her neighbors is evidence of divine protection. And I believe that 99% of the criticisms which people level against her are 1) wildly exaggerated, 2) completely made-up, 3) taken out of the historical context, or 4) hold Israel to a standard which they don’t hold anyone else to, much less her neighbors which have pledged her destruction.
            But none of what I just said in the preceding paragraph addresses the difficult question as to whether or not the restoration of Israel was the fulfillment of prophecy. The passages in question are not as clear-cut as we’d like them to be, and I think we need to exhibit a little charity towards those who disagree with us on this particular issue. I’m a big fan of Israel, just like I hope I’d be a fan of any nation that’s pro-America, democratic, peace-loving, decent, and generous. The fact that they contain a huge portion of Jewish people, who’ve blessed the world in countless way, both spiritually and non-spiritually, is only a bonus. And if anyone disagrees with me on that, well, let’s just say I’m disturbed by that.
            Which leads me to the next posting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment