So What's This All About?

In case you didn't know, I'm in the multi-year-long process of posting a Christian devotional at the TAWG Blog. The TAWG Blog is, and always will be, mostly apolitical. For the most part, Bible-believing Christians will find little to disagree with there. But I also firmly believe that God's word can--and should--inform everything in life, and this should include politics and popular culture. How should we vote? How should we respond to hot topics such as abortion, capital punishment, taxes, and other issues? Which party, if either, is closer to the Biblical ideal? Tony Campolo and Ron Sider, Evangelicals whose political leanings are on the Left, have made the case in several of their writings that God wants his followers to vote politically on the Left more than on the Right. At times, some of them have gone so far as to equate voting on the Left with obedience to Christ, either subtly or not-so-subtly contending that the converse is true as well: If you vote Republican, you're sinning against the Savior.
I don't agree. I think that to the degree they actually resort to the Bible, they're misinterpreting it. With a whole bunch of caveats, I think politically conservative positions are a lot more compatible with the Scriptures than the Leftist positions.
Just to clarify, I would never accuse people who disagree with me--especially siblings in Christ--of what they accuse me of. I don't judge my own heart, much less anyone else's, and I don't equate political disagreement with theological fidelity to God. I have no reason to doubt their love for the Lord and "for the least of these," but I believe that they're sincerely wrong.
So there are two main purposes for this blog. One is to make a case for my political beliefs based on Scripture. The other is a bit more vague, basically to work out my political beliefs and figure out what's based on Scripture and what's based on my own biases. I certainly don't have all the answers. Some of this stuff I'm still figuring out. And I'm certainly open to correction. As long as you make your case civilly and based on Scripture, feel free to make a comment, and I promise I'll post it and consider your arguments thoughtfully and prayerfully. Who knows? Maybe we'll learn a little something from each other.
May God bless our common striving together towards both the "little t" truth and "Big T" Truth. Our watchword here is a line from C. S. Lewis's The Last Battle: "Further up and further in!"

P.S. -- Below on the left is "Topics I've Covered" which lists everything I've posted topically. It's come to my attention that some people would like to see everything just listed for them. If that's you, you can get it here. Thanks to my friend Stephen Young for the tip!

Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Time For War: A Review of Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence by Preston Sprinkle, Part Eight

            Here are some final thoughts on the book and our disagreements.
            I’ve tried to make it clear multiple times that I was pleasantly surprised by this work. He actually seems to have had some meaningful conversations with fellow believers who disagree with him. His attacks on straw men are a lot rarer than I thought I’d find.
            Having said that, I do have to note that he indulges in it a little bit. What do I mean by the term straw-man, btw? Just to be clear, engaging in a straw man argument is “[creating] the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument.” In other words, person A is arguing with person B, and instead of answering A’s arguments, B answers an argument that A never made. A really humorous example from Jonah Goldberg is “Some say we must put armadillos in our trousers to defeat tyranny. Others say that cats are poor spellers. I reject both points of view.”
            Examples of Dr. Sprinkle? Well, the people he disagrees with apparently believe that the U.S. military can do no wrong, and they also believe that the military is the way to bring about the Kingdom of God. In a discussion which he claims (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) to be a representative conglomerate of several he’s had over the years, he says “I wouldn’t say that I’m against the military, but against militarism—putting faith in military might. And I also don’t think the Bible sanctions violence to achieve the goals of God’s kingdom.” Also, at the end of the chapter, he says “Seeing America’s military strength as the hope of the world is an affront to God’s rule over the world. It’s idolatry.”
            Dr. Sprinkle, if you’ve met any Bible-believer who 1) says this and 2) has anything more than a passing knowledge of Scripture, I’d love to meet him. You say that you’ve been heavily influenced by pastors/theologians such as MacArthur, Sproul, and Piper, and I believe you. None of these men—who heartily disagree with you on this subject—would say that God “sanctions violence to achieve the goals of God’s kingdom.” I certainly wouldn’t. But they (and I) would say that, based on Romans 13 (and 1 Peter 2:13-14), the state has been created by God himself to keep basic civilization intact and to maintain basic order and rule of law and prevent gross and egregious injustice. And we also believe that without the state maintaining rule of law, you quickly devolve into the rule of the jungle, in which the strong prey on the weak with impunity and arguments are settled by who has the biggest stick or gun. I believe you’re entirely sincere in your rendition of some counterarguments, but I think you might’ve misunderstood us.
            The ultimate “hope of the world,” depending on what you mean by that term, is A) the Message of Christ which changes people from the inside-out, and B) the return of Christ in power and glory. As people are changed by the Good News, they’re moved to reconcile with their enemies and become law-abiding citizens. And once Jesus returns, all wars will cease when everyone bows the knee and proclaims him (either willingly or unwillingly) as Lord of all.
            But Jesus predicted that only a minority of people in history will be saved: “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” That seems to indicate to me scant hope that a majority of people in the world at any one time will be saved in our lifetime, although I guess it’s possible. If that’s true, then I don’t see any realistic hope that the Message will change enough people to bring peace to our world. Jesus also predicted that prior to his coming that “nation will rise against nation,” meaning there certainly won’t be world peace in that day. The Message is the hope of every individual, and if it reaches enough people, it can influence a society (which I think it has in Western Civilization), but that doesn’t change what I’ve just said.
            The other hope, obviously for believers, is for Christ to return. I do believe he will, and when he does, he’ll subdue the nations by force. He’s not coming back to establish the “Democracy of God,” but the Kingdom of God.  
            But until then, the government is an institution created and established and empowered by God to keep society from falling apart, as we’ve said. Here’s the note I wrote in response to Dr. Sprinkle’s comment about “Seeing America’s military strength as the hope of the world”:

I certainly don't see America's military as "the hope of the world." But the world has actually had an absolutely unprecedented era of peace and prosperity that corresponds exactly with the rise in prominence of the American military, especially since the end of World War 2. Yes, the 20th century was incredibly bloody, but compared to other centuries the bloodshed was incredibly light in comparison (in proportion to population), and it's really leveled off in the last half of the century. See The World America Made by Robert Kagan for statistics on this. Having a cop keeping the peace in a neighborhood keeps violence and gross injustice at bay, and it's the same on the world stage. Yes ultimately it's the Lord who blesses with peace and gives victory, but apparently he's using the U.S. military as a means to do so. Acknowledging this is not idolatry.

            Now, let me close this by acknowledging some areas of agreement. He believes that American Evangelicals in general have put their trust in American military might to keep them safe. I don’t think it’s as common a problem as he presents, but it’s always a danger. In a nation of thousands of denominations, I’m sure we can find plenty of Christians who are confused on this score. I also think we’re in danger of putting faith in our own resources instead of the Lord’s provision because—compared to the rest of humanity in history and in the world today—we’re incredibly rich. That’s always a danger.  
            There is a branch of Christianity which seems to have confused the Kingdom of God with America: Christian Reconstructionism, which advocates imposing the Mosaic law on nonbelievers and seems to believe in bringing in the Kingdom of God through political domination by Christians. But I think that its influence on both the political Right and Evangelicals in general is pretty small. If you can point to any areas in which they’re winning—in which people are successfully imposing biblical morality on the public at large--I’d love to hear about it. But to the degree that any believer is confusing the Kingdom of God with the United States of America, Dr. Sprinkle and I would stand shoulder to shoulder in disabusing them of that notion.
            But when America was heading into the Iraqi invasion, I certainly didn’t hear of any major pastors endorsing it from the pulpit. Probably a majority of them (along with most Evangelicals) did agree with President Bush on that decision (along with most of his others), but to my knowledge they didn’t let that cloud their emphasis from the pulpit on eternal matters. Nor should they have. With a very few exceptions (like abortion), I don’t think that pastors should be commenting on politics from the pulpit.
            I certainly don’t believe in mindless patriotism. The “my country right or wrong” mentality has no place in the heart or mind of a believer. I believe that skepticism regarding our government officials’ best intentions is healthy and thoroughly biblical. I certainly don’t believe in jumping into military conflicts just because our leaders say it’s necessary. I also share with Dr. Sprinkle a great concern for avoiding civilian casualties and hardships which war inevitably brings. We’re certainly in agreement that the only way to really change the world is to spread the Message of Christ as far as wide and as effectively as possible, since that’s the only way that human nature changes at all, and neither of us thinks that military solutions will “solve” the problem of war.
            And above all, I consider him a brother in Christ whom I respect greatly. We heartily disagree on a major ethical issue, but that doesn’t change the really important unity we have in our Savior. I’d happily worship right next to him, and I think his book is just about the best case he could’ve made for his position: It’s thoughtful, it’s chock-full of Scripture, and he makes a decent effort to answer both counterarguments and Scripture which don’t seem to support him.  
            This debate isn’t over by any means. Christians have disagreed over this for a very very very long time, and it certainly isn’t going to be settled in this venue. If you’re reading this and have something more to add to the discussion, please feel free to comment. If you’re polite and base your arguments on the Bible, I’ll post it. I don’t have all the answers on this, but as we act as “iron sharpening iron,” hopefully we’ll all go “further up and further in.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment